Wednesday 1 July 2009

Have You Got the Bottle...

I saw an advert for recycling asking passers by "HAVE YOU GOT THE BOTTLE?" For the first time, recycers have embraced the mainstream advertising philosophy of 'If you don't agree with our line of thinking, you're in some way inadequate'. As far as traditionally passive green grass roots activism goes, this is pretty confrontational stuff.

MARKETING MEETING:

Woman:
So, the middle-class demographic is responding well to our campaigns, the only group we're having real trouble with is young working class males.

Man:
Hmm...We need to challenge their masculinity somehow. It's the only way to get a pro-active response.

Woman:
Yes, they are very homophobic. How about "Not recycling? Why? Are you a woofter?"

Man:
Yes. But that may alienate our core woofter demographic. They're some of our best recyclers.

Woman:
True. Let's be a bit more clever about this. A pun perhaps. I've got it! 'Have you got the bottle?'

Man:
Genius! I see it as a TV ad.

Woman:
Great.

CUT TO:
Croydon terraced house. An unsahven, despondent man (Terry) comes in in a stained dressing gown and throws a beer can into a bin. His wife (Donna) is sullen, sitting at the kitchen table nursing a cup of tea.

DONNA: (without turning)
Just going to throw that in the bin, are you?

TERRY:
Yeah.

DONNA:
Even though there's a special bin for aluminium.

TERRY:
Don't start.

DONNA:
Do you know how many aluminium drinks cans are used every year in the UK? Five billion.

TERRY:
Who cares?

DONNA:
You did. You used to care. You've changed, Terry Davies.

TERRY:
I've had enough of this. I'm going to watch the snooker.

(He pushes out of the door, and she stands)

DONNA:
When I first met you. You was a recycler. You was a real man.

TERRY:
I don't need this.

DONNA:
You used to bag everything up. Every Wednesday. Remember? Now look at ya. Papers in with plastics. Glass and aluminium all mixed in together. I can hardly look at you. Ashamed to show my face round here, I am.

TERRY:
Leave it! Just leave it, Donna.

DONNA:
Do you know what they're saying about you down the pub? Do you know? They're saying you haven't got the bottle to recycle.

TERRY:
Shut up!

DONNA:
You HAVEN'T GOT THE BOTTLE!

TERRY:
Shut up you bitch! (He slaps her)

DONNA:
That's your answer is it? My mum says I should leave you...says I should shack up with that Dennis at the butchers. He knows how to treat a woman. (provocatively) You should see him Tel, got his own boxes for newspapers, cleans out his sauce bottles....he's triffic, you should see him. The things he can do to a stack of magazines...

TERRY: (grabs Donna my the hair. She wails)
You don't think I can do it? You don't think I've got it in me, eh? Yeah? Well, we'll see. Get my marigolds...I'll show you how well I can still recycle...you're going to love it.

FREEZE. RECYCLING LOGO ONSCREEN. SCREEN FADES. IT IS A VIDEO THE ADVERTISERS WERE SCREENING.

Man:
Powerful stuff.

Woman:
Absolutely. Is it me, or was there a slight...rapey undertone.

No comments:

Post a Comment